Values, Mission, & Vision of the Buddy Program
Mission, Vision & Commitment
Mission: The Buddy Program empowers youth through mentoring experiences to achieve their full potential.
Vision: We envision a thriving community in which all members are supported and connected through meaningful relationships and experiences to achieve success.
Commitment: We value, celebrate, and consciously cultivate diversity as we strive to achieve equity through the power of mentoring.
Our Commitment to Social Justice, Diversity and Inclusion
At the Buddy Program, our mission is to empower youth through mentoring experiences to achieve their full potential. We envision a thriving community in which all members are supported and connected through meaningful relationships and experiences to achieve success. We recognize that many members of our community, especially those that identify as black, indigenous and people of color (BIPOC), may not have equitable access to employment, a living wage, housing, healthcare, education, and may experience discrepancies within the criminal justice system. These barriers and disparate conditions result in a lack of equity that serves as an impediment to many youth achieving their full potential.
Social justice extends beyond attitudes and into actions that we take to promote a safe, accessible, and honoring space for all individuals to thrive. We recognize our responsibility to, and leadership within, our community through the following commitments:
- Consciously cultivating an inclusive and welcoming climate and organizational culture among staff, board members, volunteers, participants and donors that embraces differences and offers respect in words and actions for all people
- Creating and maintaining programming free from discrimination
- Continued, sustainable growth and allocation of resources as an organization that addresses the complexities and needs of the diverse communities we serve
- Movement beyond tolerance and toward active inclusion, affirmation, and the celebration of our differences
- Ongoing self-examination of our attitudes, formal and informal policies and practices, assumptions and judgments, and assessment of our privilege with the end goal of acting in alliance with BIPOC and other marginalized community members
In order to deliver quality services to youth, their families, volunteers, boards, donors, and the community, the Buddy Program staff adheres to the following Core Values:
- We value respect for all individuals in all forms of communication.
- Most respectful interpretation
- Trust amongst staff
- We value open, direct, honest, and timely communication with all individuals.
- Professional, respectful conversations
- Appropriate vehicle (email/phone/meeting/one-on-one) for conversation used for appropriate subject
- Speak up when needed
- We value integrity.
- We do what we say we are going to do
- We value listening.
- We listen to understand
- We value taking care of ourselves in order to take care of others.
- We value measuring growth rather than mistakes.
- If we make a mistake, it is not measured by how bad the mistake is but how much we grow from that mistake.
- We value all that we are able to give to the community and are grateful for an acknowledge all that we have.
- We act as ambassadors to our community in our personal lives as well as our professional lives.
- We value, celebrate and consciously cultivate diversity.
Client Anti-Discrimination Policy Statement
The Buddy Program does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, political conviction, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, military status, age, sexual orientation, income level, immigration status, and disability.
The Buddy Program actively strives to identify and eliminate discrimination by changing systems, organizational structures, policies, practices, and attitudes, so that access to programming is inclusive and power is shared equitably.